Full force on a typical Welsh rainy day

After learning some fantastic post processing from a series of tutorials i purchased, i was eager to try them out in the field with some waterfall photography. I visited these falls in Snowdonia National Park in Wales. I loved this scene so much due to the vibrant greens and simple, almost monochromatic palette.

I had forgotten my filter holder at home so had to hand hold my lee big stopper gently against the lens, meaning i had to minimise my exposure time to avoid shake and spray, but also have it long enough to smooth out the water. I shot one exposure for the water and another for the rest of the scene and blended the two together. I did some dodging to bring out the highlights in the moss patches directly next to the falls.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the composition work for you?

Are the greens too vibrant and toxic looking? I always find them tricky to represent without making them look ‘sickly’.

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D600 | Tokina 17-35 | Lee Big Stopper

Water Exposure - 13 Seconds, F8, iso 400
Rest - 1/6 second, F9, iso 100

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I think the greens are pretty good. The under exposed, over saturated greens appeal to me since I grew up in the rainy western Oregon. It is difficult to keep verdant greens looking natural and I think you have done a good job. The only thing I might suggest is to move slightly to the photographer’s left if that is possible. I think it could have been a stronger composition if the bottom of the falls was not partially obscured by the knob of rock in the foreground. I might also suggest showing more of the stream in the left of the photo because the texture of the water over those rocks that you are getting in that part of the photo is really nice.

Thank you Jeremy. Yes i agree with showing more of what is on the left hand side. That way i could have included more of a leading line towards the falls. To be honest this was pretty much the only composition that i shot as the spray was becoming too much to handle whilst hand holding my filter and drying off the lens! Also forgot my waterproof socks! Next time i’ll push through it and spend more time to nail the comp!

Miguel, I really like the exposure and think the colors are spot on. I do agree with the “moving left” comment from Jeremy. I think it would also help with the shadowed lower left foreground that I find a bit too dark. Alternately, maybe a bit of a crop off of the bottom?

1 Like

@Miguel_Pilgrim I played around with crops and I agree with @Alan_Kreyger. I like a slightly tighter crop with less of the lower portion, but that is just me. Something like this could be a stronger image.

2 Likes

Yes now that i look at it, i feel that the dark foreground doesn’t add much to the image.

That’s it! Looks a lot better! I’ll be cropping it then