Galaxies in Motion

REWORK (to deal with the blob):

ORIGINAL:

Finding a nice set of ripples always makes me happy. Setting the camera on burst mode and waiting for the right moment, I hope that mother nature will give me an interesting photo. She did this time - I’m taken by the sweeping curves of the ripples and the sunspots caused by the wind.

Specific Feedback Requested

Tall and skinny vertical frames aren’t my favorite, but that felt right for this one. I wanted this to be uplifting - happy and joyful, hence a vertical orientation. Does it feel tippy?

Technical Details

a7r3, 57 mm, f/11, 1/160s, ISO 400, hand held, with polarizer.

1 Like

There’s so much to like about this image. I think you nailed your stated goals. I would change absolutely nothing.

This really does look like a constellation. There are tiny ‘star’ light reflections off the water. Here’s a crop option:

Here you are, hard at it doing your thing. A splendid abstract. Gorgeous colour and the light is other worldly. My temptation would be to crop from the top as @Igor_Doncov has done but, honestly, I really don’t want to lose all that is going on in the top of the frame, which feels like it adds rather than detracts. Like you, I’m not crazy about 2:3 in portrait mode but seeing as you can’t stretch it out from the sides I would have to make the choice you made. It’s just so magical. And beautifully processed, by the way. Boy, I’ve got to remember to use my polarizer more often!!

Beautiful! The silver and gold are so rich looking together. The textures and lines in the water are great. I like the sparkles in the silver areas. That big blob of black in the mid-left area is a distraction for me, though. Really gorgeous image.

Thank you @Matt_Payne, @Igor_Doncov, @Kerry_Gordon, and @Chris_Baird.

Igor, your crop is aesthetically pleasing, but I think is doesn’t work as well with my idea for the image.

I was using a polarizer here to cut down on the glare from the bright sun. It was so bright, though, that it didn’t do much, especially looking +/- straight down as I was.

I was wondering if someone would comment on that blob. It has an, ahem, interesting shape. I’ll post a rework with the blob lightened up for comparison.

Frankly, I prefer the original. It feels like lightening up the darkest spots takes away some of the image’s dynamism.

Wonderful abstract! I think I prefer the original crop. This is fun to look at.

1 Like

Yah, maybe there’s a middle ground. Will live with the versions for awhile.

Contrarian here. I prefer the rework as it feels the dark spots now cohabit nicely with the rest of the scene. Terrific abstract, @Bonnie_Lampley.

1 Like

Very nice abstract. I think that the aspect ratio works for this composition. I like how you used the bright highlights in the scene. This combined with the bright gold patterns definitely produces the uplifting result you were looking for. I experimented with photographing ripples on my recent trip, although not with this degree of success.

1 Like

Bonnie,

My first reaction… “All that glitters is gold…” and silver, and platinum and sparkling diamonds! Wow, this is just spectacular!

And so much fun to explore. This is one of those where there are any number of crops and areas one can focus on. Regarding the “blob”, it wasn’t something I noticed upon initial view, but seeing the repost, I prefer the scene without it.

I mentioned there is so much to look at and explore, and so the taller image allows for more exploration! But I think I’m gravitating towards a crop because there is so much and this could be condensed without losing any impact. The square version I think also emphasizes the curved ripples at the bottom and I like how those are framing the rest of the image.

The color is AMAZING! I imagine this being some exotic, one-of-a-kind piece of jewelry or unique, handmade artwork you would find someone selling at craft fairs - or even in a fine jewelry story. For sure, plenty of room for the imagination to flow in this one.

Love this! And I’m inspired to seek out some creeks in the sunshine later this summer when I head to the Sierra!

Lon

An amazing abstract, Bonnie. I tried to concentratete the image slightly by rotating iot and at the same time brought out some more structure in the dark LLC.

A glorious shot! Love the luminosity of it. It jumps at you in pure sparkling beauty. I think what is of particular attraction in such images is that the alignments of suns satisfy our tendency for pattern recognition, i.e. order, which perhaps subconsciously calls back images of jewelry to our mind with all the awe and preciousness that these evoke in us.

Definitely the tall rectangle for me and at first, I found the vertical balancing that @Ola_Jovall did very satisfying but, looking again, I feel the slightly off balance image has more dynamism to it which further amplifies the extremely dynamic nature of the subject.

Thank you, @David_Bostock, @Brian_Schrayer, @Lon_Overacker, @Ola_Jovall, and @LauraEmerson for having a look.

I did notice that blank patch in the LLC, but I didn’t want to clone to much over it, for various reasons. Your version does appeal.

That sounds quite lovely - standing in a high Sierra creek contemplating the cosmos. I’ve found that this type of pattern, where you get a relatively large area of distinct ripple patterns works best on smooth rocks. So, keep an eye out when you’re in metamorphic terrane!

Yes - at first glance the scene looks chaotic, but there is a structure to the ripples and all those tiny suns.