Game trails into the clouds

On a day with low hanging clouds, I was attracted to the nearly abstract mix of game trails, rocks, fall grasses and dusting of snow with clouds hiding the high peaks of the Gallatin Mountains adding a touch of mystery. The trails are used regularly by large herds of Elk as well as Mule Deer, Bighorn sheep, and Pronghorn as they come down from the mountains to graze and get water from the Yellowstone river.

5D3, 24-105 F4 IS II @ 70 mm, 1/50 s, f/16, iso 200, tripod

1 Like

I like the low hanging fog here. Good contrast between the jagged rocks above and the smoother hills. The lack of brilliant color and the sparseness of the vegetation indicates to me that harsh conditions exist in this scene.

Very nice, Mark. I like the clouds at the peaks and the maze of trails and watercourses leading up the slope.

Mark, a neat take on the theme here. Your comment about the game trails is an excellent point and detail in this scene. Many times flat terrain does not reveal the many paths in the wild as we see here…Nicely done…:sunglasses:

btw: no fog or mist in So Cal, however, we do have smog…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The fog provides the mood but the game trails are the most interesting feature of this landscape, Mark! It looks similar to a lot of the high level tundra here in Alaska where the caribou migrate. The large version gives you a much better look at the trails and has much more presence.