Getting Closer to Butterfly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is the same butterfly I posted a image on a few days ago, but I got much closer to her. Butterflies have a habit of returning to the same flower a couple of minutes later so I just waited.

Specific Feedback

This is full frame of the image. I darken the background and desaturated the colors as well. Did this help bright her out. Lighting was still harsh but I tried to use a contrast curve in LRC

Technical Details

R7 RF 100-500 at 500mm 1/600 f.16 iso 1000 HH

Dean, in my opinion the lighting looks much better on the butterfly in this image than the previous one you submitted. The shadows were so noticeable on the wings of the previous, but in this one it doesn’t show up. Could have been the angle the butterfly was at the time with the sun. Anyway, it is better. For this one, I might would crop just a little off the right to make her a bit more off center. Just a thought.

You were thinking what I was thinking with the crop, Shirley.

1 Like

I think you did a great job of taming the lighting on this one, Dean. I agree with both you and Shirley on the crop.

1 Like