Butterfly in the garden Updated

Updated:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

At the Tucson botanical gardens butterfly house I saw this one sitting quietly. I liked the background with the colors of the butterfly.

Specific Feedback

Lighting was a bit harsh and I toned down the background quite a bit.

Technical Details

R7 RF 100 f/2.8 macro 1/200 f/8 ISO 1600

I’ve never seen anything like this. What a beauty! The hind wings look a little iridescent and a bit like tie-dye. The stripes and white edging are really interesting details - great to break up one’s pattern and make it harder for predators to track. Super shot. The difficult light looks tamed as well as it can be. Nice.

Gorgeous colors on the BF, Dean! :slight_smile:

As Kris mentioned, it looks like a tie-dyed T-shirt. The BF seemed to soak up the light pretty well and I really like the way the BF is placed at an angle across the scene.

The BF looks to be in great shape with no signs of wear and tear.

Have you considered a crop on the left? Maybe something along the lines of a 5x7 crop with the LRC at the start point. I mention a 5x7 ratio as a general reference, meaning something close would be good, but, it’s just a thought.

Nicely done! :slight_smile:

Fascinating specimen, wonderful detail and light, great BG! Processing looks spot-on. Maybe a tweak off the left would be good, but not a big deal.

What a beautiful butterfly, Dean! I have never seen one like it. Those wings are so colorfully marked, and you captured them just right. I agree that you could lose a little off the left that isn’t adding to the image, but not a big deal.

It’s Parthenos sylvia, the Clipper, a fast flyer found in S-E Asia. Good to see a captive butterfly in such good condition. You caught it beautifully, Dean. It’s personal choice, but I’d clone out the black spot in the tip of the upper L wing. This butterfly craves absolute perfection!

Thanks for the feeback, @Kris_Smith , @Diane_Miller , @Merv , @Shirley_Freeman , @Mike_Friel. I cropped from the left side but kept the 2x3 ratio. Thanks Mike for letting me know what the butterfly was. I put those in my keywords in case I need to find her again

2 Likes

Oh, yes, I think that helped.

Hi Dean, beautiful specimen well captured. Nice sharpness and the color really pops. The repost balances out the composition quite well. Well done.