Posing at the gardens updated

Updated

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Tucson Botanical Gardens from October to May has a butterfly house with butterflies around the world there. My phone app says this is the large tree nymph butterfly, but I guess has other names. This butterfly sat there so wanted to see how close I could get.

Specific Feedback

Upper right of the wing is soft, does it affect the photo much. Suggestions next time.

Technical Details

Canon R7 w RF 100-500 at 167mm f/9 1/200 ISO 1600 with diffused flash. Used a Canon flash with a Mag mod on it, then another flat screen in front of that.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Dean: we have these at the butterfly house in Houston and they are called rice papers. This is a really nice capture of this beauty. Nicely done. >=))>

It’s a great catch, Dean. The dark BG helps conceal the slightly oof top, so it doesn’t bother me at all. I’d just suggest adding a bit more canvas to the right if humanly possible. Well done!

Nice catch of this butterfly Dean. What a striking pattern on the wings. FWIW, I try to shoot butterflies with a bit narrower aperture, say up to f16 if I can manage it to try to get the wings fully sharp. Still a pleasing image here.

Very nice, Dean. The wings are awesome and to me the head position makes it look like it’s taking a bit of a bow. A real show-off.

Dean it cannot get better than this. …spot on …
may be my monitor …i would have toned down the contrast by one tiny bit
Balan Vinod

Thank you for the feedback, @Mike_Friel , @Allen_Sparks , @Bill_Fach , @Dennis_Plank , and @Balan_Vinod . I made a couple of changes based on your feedback. Just a tad less contrast, about 5 percent more room above and to the right in the image. The butterfly house opens in October and we do get a members grand opening night so looking forward to seeing them again