Glacier Bay - 01

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of the mountains in Glacier Bay captured last week on an Alaskan cruise. Initially, the clouds were thick and dark with a considerable amount of fog and mist. Then it cleared and the sky appeared with just a hint of blue with wispy clouds. I decided to take some closeups using my Nikkor Z 100-400 f/4S lens.

Specific Feedback

general impression and suggested refinements.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7ii
Nikkor Z 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 VR S @ 145mm
Aperture Priority
ISO 64 EB -1/3 EV
1/2500 sec @ f/5.6

Hi Ray. This is a very striking image/portrait of a mountain! I like the simplicity but I was going to suggest lightening the dark mountain as well as the snow. Then I had a look at the images on your website and noticed that a lot of your images have a similar contrasty look so if that’s your style and you like it that way then by all means leave this as is. :slight_smile:

Ray,

Agree with most Tom mentions. Indeed a very striking image of the mountain. I especially like the cloud shadow patterns near the base of the mountain. In fact the dappled light all around really enhances this capture.

I would agree with Tom also dark on the mountain. The exposed rock areas look almost blocked up and have little detail. But like Tom also mentions, not sure if this is a processing style because certainly the presentation is in the realm of personal choice.

On a side note, curious as to your thoughts on your rig with the Z7ii and the 100-400. Both are on my upgrade list. But then the Z8 just came out… How do you like and how long have you been shooting with it?

Thanks for posting!

Lon

Thank you for your insights. I am extremely pleased with performance and tracking of the Z7ii relative to the Z7. This is the first time using the 100-400 and was impressed with its performance , sharpness and quick focus/tracking. I believe you would be very happy with the upgrade.

Thank you, Tom