Glacier Bay Pano 2

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the subject, the detail, depth and color. Unfortunately, due to the subject matter, I am concerned that the composition may not be optimal. This is a panorama created from 8 images, so the perspective is vast. I wanted to show the enormity of the mountains within Glacier Bay. This is almost impossible to achieve. Some of these mountain peaks are over 14,000 feet.

Creative direction

As expressed earlier, I wanted to capture and convey the enormity of the many mountain ranges that create Glacier Bay. This is only a small section of the surrounding mountains. I want to show the natural beauty of the area and hope that the viewer can experience the vastness of this beautiful bay.

Specific Feedback

I would ask for feedback on any of the areas outlined above. I am particularly interested in the aesthetic and conceptual aspect of this photograph. Obviously if there are technical issues I would appreciate feedback on them as well.

Technical Details

Panorama using eight photographs.
Nikon Z7ii with a Nikkor 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 VR S
Aperture Priority
ISO 64 with +2/3 EV with pattern metering
120 mm for each capture

Description

Covered above

1 Like

Hi Ray,

it must have been great to see this impressive scenery on the spot. I very much like the black rock and the white snowy mountains in combination with the blue water.

But here’s the compositional problem for me: You put those black rocks in the center of your image, but my eyes automatically wander to the part that shows the most contrast – which are the pointy mountains, not the black rock.

Do you maybe have more “meat” to the left side? Or maybe you could balance that out by decreasing the contrast and putting the mountains behind some haze. But surely that’s not the scenery you witnessed …

Markus

I really like the blues in the water and those mountains sure are impressive. That said, when i view this image my eyes are immediately drawn to the peaks on the very left edge and I actually want to see even more in that direction.

Markus, thank you for your critique. I agree with your assessment. Unfortunately, due to the vastness of Glacier Bay, it is impossible to capture the entire vista even with an extensive panorama.

Tom, thank you for the critique.

I think this is technically an excellent image. The sharpness in both the rock face and the clarity of the margins of the snow is excellent. The issue with the composition is with all the white on the left side and edge it makes the comp somewhat unbalanced.

I think it’s wise to adopt the lessons from the Renaissance Art - perspective lines. Rather than show far away subject, have foreground elements that create perspective lines to those distant mountains. From what I’ve seen of Glacier Bay pictures photographers use floating ice to achieve this sense of scale.