Deep Blue Waters

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My first trip to Crater Lake 2 weeks ago was a bust. My first time shooting panos and I learned some lessons. Went back this week and shot this at sunrise in 25 degree cold at 5AM. YIKES! Definitely worth it. This is 9 shots stitched together.

Specific Feedback

All feedback most welcome. Also wondering if you think the composition is confusing with Wizard Island on the left and the sunrise on the right. Too much eye movement required to enjoy?

Thanks!
Scott

Technical Details

9 shot pano
ISO 125
38mm
F14
130th sec

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

I like it a lot. It looks like it might be just a touch over saturated to my eye is all. Nice part of the world. Worth the labor.

Thanks so much! Most appreciated.

What a scene! I’m impressed with your 9-shot pano. The colors are vivid, but look realistic to me.

What strikes me, though, is the prominence of the weathered snow. It feels quite different than the rest of the frame - bright and hard vs. dark and organic. It’s like there are two images here. I think it’s the proportions of the foreground vs. background that feel odd to me.

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it.

Scott, that sun star is lovely. My fingers are cold just thinking about the temperature you were braving. I agree with @Bonnie_Lampley about the snow being so prominant. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Thank you! Would you suggest cropping out some of the snow?

Scott

Scott, that might be a good way to minimize it.

Thanks again everyone! I did some cropping and warping to reduce the amount of snow in the FG. Appreciate the feedback!