Glamour puss

Gray tree frogs like my deck. This one I have now and the one in NH. While I often hear these little guys in the “wild” I’ve never seen one in more natural surroundings and since I don’t want to handle them, I leave them where I find them and this one was smack in the middle of the floor.

The whole scene is basically colorless to begin with, so I cranked everything to the right in processing and I think it works. I hardly ever do this kind of thing so it’s cool that it fits with this weeks’ theme. It was taken in 2020.

PS. I don’t handle amphibians unless I have to. Not because they’re slimy or gross, but because their skins are highly permeable and I don’t want them to absorb stray toxins that could be on my hands like bug spray or cleaners. Plus it stresses them and who needs more stress?

Specific Feedback Requested

Ideas, impressions and opinions are good.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld (the camera, not the frog, lol) but basically resting right on the floor

frog high key

Lr for the high-key look & B&W conversion, and a bunch of texture & clarity. A tiny crop. That’s about it.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Really like this one, Kris. It feels like snow/frost on the frog and deck. Nicely done.

Nice job Kris. When I zoom in, the frog’s texture has a 3D feel to it. Nice job capturing that. I think the high key processing probably emphasizes the 3D effect. I can see why he is hard to spot “in the wild” since he can be so superbly camouflaged.

Kris, the high key, b&w effect works well here.

thanks @David_Bostock, @kelly_cole & @Mark_Seaver - they camouflage very well and can even turn nearly completely green. Their trilling song is always a welcome sound in the spring.

We have a lot of frogs where I live, but not quite as gnarly as this one appears to be.

You’ve got eye contact…maybe! And, a nice froggy pose. The focus drop off is nice and the high key look is handled well.

I am always tempted to darken the base of an image, but this works well.

Thanks @glennie - they sometimes tuck both feet under their chins, but this one is showing some of those fabulous toes!