Tucked

Gray tree frogs love my deck. In NH or WI it doesn’t matter. This works for me since while I hear them elsewhere, I’ve never managed to find one. Camouflage is a reason and this green morph comes about now and then. I think they’re trying to impersonate leaves. This one was on the bottom of the window sill on the deck.

Specialized cells in the frogs’ skins allow them to do this. Collectively they are called chromatophores. Basically they blend three types of cells in three layers of skin. First are the melanophores that contain melanin to make shades of brown (like in humans). Next, in the middle, are iridophores which don’t make color, but reflect light, primarily the blue end of the spectrum. Finally, on the surface are the xanthophores responsible for producing yellow. Combining the top two layers makes green, which the frogs use to adapt their colors to their surroundings. They also change color depending on temperature, tending to become lighter when it’s warm.

Specific Feedback Requested

Well…I’m not sure, but have at it. I have other tree frog pics that might suit…a couple show this green coloring in various amounts. Sometimes its only on part of the body they display it.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix GH3
Vintage Olympus 90mm f/2 macro
f/8 | .4 sec. | ISO 200
Tripod

Lr processed for exposure, clarity & texture. Toned down the actual window sill. Removed some crud on the sill in Ps. This is not a crop.

@the.wire.smith

Excellent perspective in detail here. The colors are really superb. I love the texture.

This one is VERY green, Kris. I like your framing here and am also enjoying how I tried to turn the indents into eyes and then…noticed the real eyes.