Gray Tree Frog

We had some rain yesterday morning and clouds through the day. That seems to have encouraged lots of these gray tree frogs (Hyla versicolor) to climb onto the Arrowhead arum in the pond next door. I was taken by the abundance of green but liked the structure that a small aperture added.

7D2, 180mm macro L, 1/50 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Mark, this is a really nice image. I like all the green too, with the different shades. He appears in this image to be a very tiny little frog, and that comes out with the from on that stem of the plant. The lighting is really sweet. I really am enjoying this image. :+1::+1:

Thanks for sharing this wonderful image, Mark. The longer I looked at this image, the more I appreciated all the green tones in the leaves. I think the aperture you selected really makes the frog pop. Great composition as well! Very nicely done! :+1:

Hi Mark, really nice image - love all the green tones and the critical focus on the frog is ideal. Well composed with the subject placed just right in the frame. Well done.

Awesome shot! I love the green metamorph and the scale of the photo which makes the plant look gigantic in comparison.
Looking at the frog depending on your location it is either a Bird-voiced Tree Frog (Hyla avivoca) or one of the Gray Tree Frogs (Hyla versicolor or chrysoscelis).

@Joshua_Wallace, hearing the local Gray Tree Frogs singing all summer long is one of my favorite parts of summer. I had seen a full grown Gray earlier in the week and it was about 3 times bigger than these little ones and distinctly gray, that’s why I’m thinking that these little guys (about 1 cm long) were Green Tree Frogs. Do these little green ones with no markings on their backs (and I spotted over a dozen in the Arum on this pond) grow up to be big and gray?

Joshua, on searching further, I found this statement, “Initially, the juvenile ones are green in color; they become gray colored as they attain adulthood.”, given that, I believe that your ID is correct.

1 Like

A good way to tell gray tree frog complex apart from green treefrog especially with metamorphs is side pattern. Gray and bird voiced will have gray coloration and a mottled pattern on the side of the face and body, and green tree frogs will have a white or cream stripe.

This is a wonderful portrait of this little frog. It looks so tiny! It must be neat to have these little creatures available to photograph so close to your home. I like the sea of green and think the composition works quite well. I think your presentation works overall but you could consider two processing things to help emphasize the frog - brightening the frog a bit and darkening the left edge to help mirror the tones on the edges of the frame.

Mark: I’m :nauseated_face:reen with envy over this shot :wink:. Great comp and lighting. Just a superbly crafted image.>=))>

1 Like