Green on Green

Small frog in my garden this afternoon.

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

iso 640, 100-400 at 400, as close as I could focus, about 1 meter, f5.6, 500th, handheld, 50% of full frame

3 Likes

Nicely seen, David. Green on green for sure. He looks like a tree frog.

David, your title says it all. Probably a Pacific Treefrog based on a quick web search, which turns up the interesting fact that they can change from green to brown in a few minutes. (The Washington Fish and Wildlife website says that this change is due to moisture and temperature, not background colors.) The eye is nicely sharp and it’s angled pose fits well with the veins in the leaf. Since I’m a lots of sharpness fan, I’d like to see the front side sharp as well…but that’s me.

Wonderful catch – cute subject, great BG and excellent detail! A little more DOF could be icing on the cake but what you got is certainly not a weakness here, for me.

Such shallow DOF here. I know how it is with these tiny critters. I’ve never seen one of these, but treefrogs are so wonderful. The ones here, gray treefrogs, chrip beautifully. Do you know how these vocalize?

Perfect title for this image, David. I love seeing shades of green together in nature, and when you can photograph a green critter on green leaves, that is extra special. Like @Mark_Seaver said, the eye is nice and sharp, and that is most important. More DOF would have been nice. Still a great image.