Go With the Flow

A spring waterfall from the Quabbin region of Massachusetts. When you have good water flow like this, I often prefer to zoom in on waterfalls with a telephoto lens. This tighter view helps isolate the multiple tiers of the cascade. I also have some wider views of this falls showing the surrounding forest and foreground stream, but I prefer the semi-abstract look of this tighter view. It was very dark in the small gorge where this falls was located, but I think the long 5 second exposure actually came out okay in terms of the look in the water.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MK4, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 144 mm, ISO 100, 5.0 seconds at f16

1 Like

I am enjoying the silky flow of the water Ed. The touch of green throughout the scene adds to your composition.

The semi-abstract look works well. Since you were going for the abstract look, the long SS is perfect. The vertical lines of the water contrast well with the horizontal ledges. I could see zooming/cropping in even tighter, so there is water totally filling the frame.

Gorgeous, Ed. There is so much to love about this image. Makes me wish I was there in person. Very nice capture.

Wow! I love the rock steps the water is falling over. They seem to keep going up beyond the frame even higher! Very beautiful place. I like the soft flow of the falls.

Gorgeous capture, Ed. The white balance & color balance look perfect, and the 5 second exposure worked out very nicely. I tend to prefer a wider view normally, or one than is much tighter. With that perspective in mind, I feel it’s a little too tight on the right side wish you had gone for a panorama with another image taken on the right side and cropped in to feature the entire falls widthwise. I feel you handled the exposure beautifully, with the greenery still visible even in the darker shadows. Well done, as always.

Ed,
I like the colors, shutter speed and white balance, all are handled really nicely. I agree with @Bonnie_Lampley and think a little tighter look might be even better.
The flow of these falls looks like a sign of a promising spring waterfall season.

@Alan_Kreyger @linda_mellor @Bill_Chambers @Bonnie_Lampley @Eva_McDermott @Vanessa_Hill

Thank you all for your comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts. Alan and Bonnie, I do have some other shots from this falls where I zoomed in even tighter and got just falling water. I am a big fan of bracketing compositions, even if it’s more work back on the computer. For this image I wanted to show a hint of the greenery to add a little color interest, otherwise this is almost a B&W image.

Different image with tighter zoom.

4 Likes

Ed,

This is quite a different image than the original, but for my taste it ups the abstract feel. Thanks
for the followup post.