Godwits Wading in Surf

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

At our local beach a couple days ago there were a handful of godwits and willets working the surf for sand crabs. These two got caught in a wave and had to wade a bit.

Specific Feedback

I really like how the birds are kicking up a foamy wake in the surf. I know the back bird is a bit soft. Too much? It was a pretty bright Southern California beach day so I used a -1 exposure bias to try to control some of the whites.

Technical Details

Canon 7D Mii, f11, 1/2000 sec, iso 400, -1 exp. bias, 100-400 IS II, 1.4 TC, at 560 mm. HH with IS off.

1 Like

Hi Ed, nice image with these two moving through the surf. I also like how they are kicking up the foam. Sharpness on the front bird is ideal and the fall off on the second bird should be expected (no big deal to me). Nice that the second bird’s beak does not intersect with the head of the front bird. Exposure looks good. Nit is wishing for an eye catchlight in the birds. A fine image.

Excellent detail in the near bird, Ed. I always like it when they’re in step. Are you on an east coast or a west coast? The reason I ask is that I was on the east side of North Padre Island a number of years ago in the early morning and found that by wading in the shallows, I could get really nice images of the birds on the beach side and it put the morning light on the side toward me.

Thank you @Allen and @Dennis_Plank. This is West Coast. Southern California. I’m going to give it another shot today. I like the idea of wading out, but our surf is a bit rough. It may not be a good idea here.

Probably not and you’d want to do it in the evening there.

1 Like

Great image, Ed. I too, like the splash of the wave on their legs.

@Dennis_Plank I should have known better than to take my Canon 5D and 24-105 lens on a fishing boat today. No problems on the boat although I didn’t get it out of the backpack for most of the day. I just got home and dropped it on the floor, shattering the UV filter. Thank God for UV filters, it seems to have cushioned the fall for my camera and lens.

@David_Bostock thank you for your comment.