Going Derelict

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Our house sits about 200 yards from Cypress Creek, a major drainage in Northwest Houston. It flooded significantly during Hurricane Harvey in 2017 but while 85-90% of our neighborhood flooded our house sits on a little high spot and we were spared. We had left for Alaska two days before the storm hit (planned months in advance) and came back over two weeks later. The entire area was a disaster area in every sense except for ours and a handful of other homes.

On the opposite bank of the creek sat Raveneaux Golf Course. It had been falling on hard times prior to the storm and the flood was the coup d’grace. The county acquired the property with the intent of turning it into a giant retention pond. So far the only progress has been the demolition of some structures but no digging and none in sight. I was flying my drone over the area a few days ago just playing with the bracketing feature on the camera but liked the old cart path winding through the freeze damaged scrub that’s still there. I especially liked the long shadows and the bare trees. certainly not a compelling scene but I thought it worth a few shots and a post. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

DJI Mini 3 Pro
ISO 100, 1/640 @ f1.7, HDR

Interesting background on this image, Bill. I had been in Rockport in March of that year for some time and looked at all that flat land barely above sea level thinking about hurricanes.

I like the composition with the pathway winding through and the incredibly long shadow lines. I’d be tempted to crop a bit from the left as there’s just a bit of a dirt path or something coming in on the lower left that tends to pull my eye.