Gold Dust

In February I had a continuing education meeting and surgical wet lab in Las Vegas, and took an extra couple of days to run over and check out Death Valley. The one morning I was able to spend at Mesquite Flats was on a Saturday, and I was blown away by the number of photographers. It was Nirvana for those hoping to photograph footprints in the sand.

I’m not much of an abstract guy. That’s partly by choice, but mostly by skill level :wink:. This day though, I found myself focusing on small scenes to avoid the crowds and our footprints (as I was part of the horde, I must include my own in that score).

Since this is a different sort of image for me, any feedback is welcome!

Nikon D7100
Nikon 55.0-200.0 mm f/4.0-5.6 at 92mm (138mm equiv.)
1/350 sec at f/16 and ISO 800

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful golden light and really nice abstract lines. I am on the fence about what looks like sun star lines ? coming in from the top right. My mind spends a lot of time on them trying to figure them out. Still quite an enjoyable image to wander through.

That was my call, and I like the effect a lot. I’m not quite sure how you managed it, John but for me it adds considerable mood and mystery to an already fine image.

John,

This is outstanding! I’m with Hank in that I love the added element of the beams of light. It adds a considerable dynamic to this unique dune intimate.

The contrast is high, but that too makes a difference on this being a successful image, in my view. I love this, even all the way down to the fine details - like the fainter rim lighting up top. Very cool.

I definitely can imagine photographing there as quite a challenge with all the 'togs… but kudos to you for managing to avoid that feeling in your captured image.

Lon

John, I think this is quite gorgeous. I was not quite sure about the sun flare initially but I am quickly warming up to it. My suggestion would be to crop the most distant ridge line. I think it will give a little more abstract quality to it.

John, a really nice job on this one! I like the tones and the beams of light that add extra interest to the scene. I also initially thought that the crop that @Adhika_Lie suggested is a good idea. I tried it and I am not sure which version I prefer.
Well done!

i like this a lot John, those light rays are amazing. I also like how the rays are nicely balanced by the strong shadows in the ULC. I would leave the composition as presented, I think the rim-lit ridge line at the top creates a nice framing element to the scene. I think this image is a good example of successfully pushing contrast and color for effect, it works well for me. My only suggestion for improvement would be to tone down the luminosity/saturation along the top edge of the bottom dune, it’s a little too hot for my taste.

All is said I think. I find very special in your image the thin line at the horizon.It makes the image. And indeed it looks like gold dust. Well made !!