Gold Nuggets

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken at Eubehebe Crater in Death Valley NP. My camera kept crapping out during the trip (had to have the mother board replaced) and I never knew when I would get an image or not. Very frustrating! I guess that made the images I did get more meaningful.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

1/80 sec @f8, ISO 200

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Hi Chris! Lovely photo of Eubehebe. Those golden stones positively glow. The light on the eroded side walls of the drainage is beautiful.

Were you down in the crater? I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen a photo where the finer-detail geologic layers were so apparent.

@Bonnie_Lampley Thanks, Bonnie. We were not down in the crater, but had taken the trail up along the rim. At some point, we left the trail and went off to the right (as I recall.) Itā€™s been a few years, so Iā€™m not positive.

1 Like

@Chris_Baird , this is so beautiful. The trail of gold is just great! The light and color of those golden rocks is remarkable! Good job capturing this nugget of a scene with your on the blink camera!

@Mark_Muller Thanks, Mark. Your comments are always appreciated. I was just this morning thinking that I hadnā€™t seen you on NPN lately.

1 Like

This is really nice! The golden stones were a real find. Only distraction I found (and only when I enlarged the image) was the tiny dead plant at the LL corner. I like how the sun catches the slightly bigger one, but the little ā€œskeletonā€ bothered me a bit. Iā€™m always glad that photographers donā€™t shrug off areas like this as ā€˜not interesting.ā€™ And donā€™t give up when conditions arenā€™t great - including equipment frustrations!

Wonderful eye to have seen this! the golden glow of the rocks is mesmerizing, and the lines of the rocks leading down to the gully frame the rocks perfectly.
Your chosen comp is exceptional.
Just - wow!

@SandyR-B @Denise_Dethlefsen Thank you for your wonderful comments.

Chris, the ā€œSā€ curve along the bottom and the golden stones make a fine dynamic view. I like how youā€™ve emphasized the big stone at the bottom as a lead into the rest of the scene. The eroded walls are quite striking.

@Mark_Seaver Thank you for your comments and feedback, Mark.