Golden Canyon

This is a photo of a portion of Golden Canyon in Death Valley NP. It was taken early morning from a high spot about 1/3 of the way into the canyon. I was attracted to the strong shapes and colors in the hills in contrast to the pastels in the sky. I cropped the uppermost portion of the sky to emphasize the hills. Nikon Z7 and 24-70 lens at f/16, 1/6 and ISO 800 on tripod.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

Any pertinent technical details:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Richard,

Well done. I think you’ve handled the exposure, color and processing overall quite well. I like that you’ve emphasized the layers of ridges with the pastels in the sky and the darker formations on the right.

If I’m not mistaken, this is the Manly Beacon right? This is a refreshing and different view/angle that we normally see from Zabriskie Pt. Or is this another location. No matter, still a great capture from DV.

Lon

Lon: thanks for your comment. Yes, the peak to the left is Manly Beacon. This photo was taken well into Golden Canyon. I’m fairly sure that I may have set or matched some sort of record for being cloned out of a photo as when I turned around to leave, I saw about 20 cameras pointed at me from Zabriskie Point. Richard

1 Like