Golden Delight

This is another image from my trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway last August. The sun was setting out of frame to the right and was illuminating the thick haze in the ridges. I like the interplay of light and shadow from the way that the light was filtering through the haze in the ridges. This is my favorite location on the parkway because the view is spectacular.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and critiques are welcome. Specifically, I would like feedback on the processing and color balance. Is it too warm? Also, does the tonal balance look good? It’s easy to get carried away when processing images!

Technical Details

Image Capture:

100 mm
ISO 100
f/8 @ 1/100 sec

Processing:

RAW Processing for global contrast and color balance adjustments.
Slight crop from full frame to remove a couple of distracting elements.
Tonal adjustments targeting shadows and midtones using luminosity masks.
Slight color balance adjustment in Photoshop to refine the overall color balance
Slight adjustment to vibrance using TK Vibrance mask.

2 Likes

Brian, this feels like a classic film capture of a marvelous scene. The slanting lines from the low sun give this a really nice depth. I think the color/warmness is just fine. A spectacular image and I wouldn’t change a thing.

1 Like

Brian,

Beautiful layered landscape image. I’m pretty sure this is what I had in mind regarding my comment on your previous image. The contrast/tones of the foreground ridge are much more in line with the rest of the image.

No, this isn’t too warm - IMHO. Beautiful late light is usually warm and this is just lovely. The fading to infinity gives this tremendous depth.

I wouldn’t change a thing.

Lon

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker Thank you, Lon! I appreciate the clarification of your comment on my previous photo as well as your insightful comments. I will definitely revisit my previous photo to try to bring the foreground layers more in line with the other layers.

I love the warmth in this image so in my opinion you definitely didn’t take it too far. The image has great atmosphere and makes me want to be there.

Wonderful atmosphere and depth. I like the way the sun slants through the valleys and highlights the sides of the mountains. I get a warm feeling just looking at this photo.

The texture in the foreground to haze in the background gives a nice sense of depth in this image. The warm colours work really well as it contribute’s to the mood. Introducing cooler colours would also work but I think it would offer a different mood. With light this good I think it’s hard to go wrong!

This is just superb Brian. I love the shafts of light cascading across the hills. The shadow and light play is incredible. The sky looks really good, not blown out and with soft pastel warm colors, and the image itself is definitely not too warm. I really can’t make a suggestion on how to improve this one at all. I’m just going to sit here for a minute and take this in. I agree with @Lon_Overacker about the contrast and tones on the front ridge are more in line with the overall image tones. This is so well done.