Golden Outlines

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We often get temperature inversions in the valley where I live that create flat, grey skies for days on end. It can get a little depressing after a while. Sometimes, in order to escape, I drive up into the hills where you can often get above that inversion layer and the clouds it traps over the valley and get a dose of sunshine. Coming down, my eye was caught by the sunlight backlighting the moss on the trees and outlining them with a golden glow.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

1/200 sec @ f9, ISO 200

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This captured my eye because of the backlight on the trees. The barely there background is a strong support to the composstion. I love the lines of the trunks. I find myself looking for a plaace to enteer the composition and it seems to be the clump of branches in the lower third of the frame. I wondered with playing with light in post processing would do to emphasize this point. Here is what I tried in PS using the TK9 spot light and vinette filters using a freehand mask for each.

Screenshot of the two masks. They could be produced without the TK9 filters by using very feathered masks and levels or curves to brighten the area and a screen blend mode in this case at 30% oopaceity. The vignette can be done using a gradient fill and multiply blend mode at 30% opacity.
screen shot

@Barbara_Djordjevic Thanks for taking the time to work with my image. Your expert suggestions are appreciated.

What a wonderful scene! I love the backlight on the mossy trunks and you found a ovely composition! @Barbara_Djordjevic’s touch adds some nice mystery!