Goldfinch Going for the Gold-Behavioral Image

I know I missed getting this shot, but enough of it is there to illustrate the behavior and I thought it was interesting enough to post. Even though other Goldfinches could stretch from the lower perch to the drip or would just perch on the drip itself, this guy really wanted to get at it from the bottom and couldn’t quite reach. I have several images of him stretching full length and flapping to maintain his balance, but I thought this one of him drinking while hovering was especially interesting.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. All I did was crop this a bit for this post.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 484 mm, f/8, 1/320, iso 2000 (overexposed about a stop-the clouds chose to thin just then). Processed in LR (reduced exposure, cropped and exported as jpg). Taken June 28th at 9:26 am under mostly cloudy skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Always fun to see wildlife interacting with their environment, and witness their resourcefulness… I was trying to photograph a Black Swallowtail in some milkweed yesterday with the wind blowing 20 mph and the sun popping in and out of the clouds, so I can identify with your issues. The frustrations of being a wildlife photographer! Still, I like the shot, Dennis.

Fascinating behavior. They are fun to watch and sometimes whatever they are doing just does not make sense. I like how you caught the water droplet.