Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D
Tripod/cable release
ISO 100
F22
.5 Sec

1 Like

What lovely morning light. It must have been wonderful to watch the sun rise over this scene. What immediately strikes me, though, is the high contrast of this file. At least I think that’s what I’m seeing - the darks are so dark relative to the other tones. It looks quite “crunchy”. I would expect the areas the sun hasn’t reached yet to be darker, but not so contrasty. Perhaps it’s that you raised the lights in the shaded areas?

1 Like

Terrific golden morning light in this you captured here. The tree tops are just glowing. I love the bush in the foreground center as an anchor to this scene. The mountain backdrop is really nice. A couple of things seem amiss here. First, is the overly blue tones throughout the image and second is the high contrast or high clarity where everything seems over sharpened and contrasty. Bonnie described crunchy and that’s what I’m seeing too. Was this shot in Jpeg or RAW? There are parts in the sky that are blown out but I’m thinking if this was shot in RAW you might be able to bring back some of the detail. The sky is also pretty noisy which may indicate over sharpening as well. I think you have the makings of a really nice scene here Terry and I think this is worth putting some more time into. I hope you don’t mind but I brought this into lightroom for a quick shakedown. Being that it’s a jpeg there was not much I could to recapture some of the blown out sky but I warmed it up globally, reduced the exposure by 1.12 stops, reduced the clarity, texture and sharpness in the foreground selectively as well as in the sky, reduced the noise in the sky, and in general tried to smooth things out just a little bit to reduce the crunchiness. I’m not sure it works but I thought I’d share it with you. It’s really a beautiful scene.

4 Likes

Thank you for your comments, always learning and other folk’s comments are helpful!

Thank you it is most helpful to see what someone else would do with the same image! Love what you did!

Nicely seen. I generally like David’s reworking of the image. However, I like the detail in the foreground. The details moves the foreground from being a placeholder to being an important part of the image. Well done.

1 Like