Got him!

A pair of Great crested grebes was relaxing on a nice autumn day. After a while they took care of their plumage, and action was to be expected. And indeed, a few minutes later they both started the hunt and this grebe was the first one with a catch.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcome.
There are some strange reflections visible in the water. They look a bit like braids, coils. I left them unchanged; do you find them distracting?

Technical Details

Pentax K3 Mk. III, Sigma 4/100-300 @300mm, f/4.5, 1/320s, ISO3200.

2 Likes

Like this image very much. This grebe is very pretty as is the fish in his/her mouth :blush:. The red eyes and pink mouth really stand out. I love the color of the water and the big round ripple gives the sense of motion. Even those two floating leaves add to this photo. I think it’s a wonderful photo as is.

I wouldn’t change a thing, Han. The little coils in the LRC don’t bother me that much. I love the fall colored leaves, the head turn with prey, the plumage, the water swirls and the implied story. I’ve got food…It’s dinner time. Who’s coming to get it? On second thought, You might want to burn down the brightest parts along the top edge and possibly remove that one leaf near the top of the frame. Very tiny nits and I’m really grabbing at straws with those two. Nice work!

Thank you @Donna_Callais and @David_Haynes , for your comments!
David, I already burnt down the leave in the LLC and the bright reflection just below the bird (at its right side), but you are right about the top of the frame. Thanks.

Hi Han
Love the Great crested Grebes, the shades of pink, gray, brown and white are just a wonder to view. Then you add a red eye and dinner, to this photograph an I am sold. The ring in the water I had to look for, so no big deal. Great work.
Peter

Han, this is a fine shot of a handsome bird. He is very colorful, which you’ve captured accurately, and love all the feather detail. Water circles were a nice bonus. Coils in the BR corner are certainly odd but not distracting. You don’t say if you cropped at all, but it would be nice to see a bit more of his reflection down there, muddled as it is.

Thank you @peter and @Jim_Lockhart for your kind comments!
Jim, I cropped the image a bit, there is more reflection of the bird in the RAW file. But the ripples in the water break up the reflection in an unattractive way, that’s why I cropped it. I understand your comment, but I don’t think it will add to the image.

1 Like