Grebe?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this last year, and during these hot days I am going back through some of my photos to practice editing in LR. I found this one under exposed and hadn’t even bothered to look to see what the picture was of I guess. Anyway, I was pleased to find a bird different than I normally get to photograph, and that it turned out as well as it did.

Specific Feedback

Anything that you think would improve the shot. I think I have it cropped in enough and okay for composition.

Technical Details

Canon 7D Mark II, Sigma 150-600mm HH, 1/1250, f6.3, ISO 400. Edited in LR only.

3 Likes

Sweet capture, Shirley. This one looks like a older juvenile? Crop looks good to me, I do like how you’ve placed this little fellow in the scene. You mentioned some edits in LR. Were the edits mostly on the duck? Looks like it was a very calm cloudy day? I do love the lighting on the little fellow. Good idea to be working inside during these hot lazy days of summer!

Thank you, Linda. I thought it was some kind of juvenile Grebe, but just not sure which one. Couldn’t seem to find photos online of the juveniles.

As for the edit, as I recall, I first slid the Exposure over to the right and discovered the beautiful bird (yeah, it was that under exposed). I then did my usual with changing the Tone Curve to medium, masking (alt + move mask slider to the right) under Detail. Then I used the Masking Tool at the top, and selected Subject. Did some tweaks like a tiny bit of saturation, shadow/highlights, then I slid Texture and Clarity to the right some (under Presence). When satisfied with the bird, I did a inverse to work on the water, bringing up the blues a little (because yes, it was cloudy). That is pretty much it in a nutshell as I recall.

This is wonderful, Shirley! :slight_smile:

Very cute!
It’s always nice to have a few saved images to sift through later, sometimes it’s better to wait to process them, at least for me.

1 Like

Definitely a Grebe, but I’m not sure which one, Shirley. My best guess is the Horned grebe since it’s the only one that has that pale tip on the bill. My Peterson says the neck can look “dusky” in the transition phase between breeding and non-breeding plumage. I looked at images on the web, and while not identical to anything I saw, it certainly looks like one in transition phase from breeding to non-breeding plumage.

In any case it’s a lovely image. I like the subtle contours of the water and the pose of the grebe.

Thank you @Merv and @Dennis_Plank Thank you for your time and effort to search what type of Grebe it is, Dennis. I didn’t even notice that pale tip of the beak. Thank you to all for viewing and commenting. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Excellent work! I love the little guy and all the water droplets. Glad you rescued this from the bin and sharpened up your editing skills with it. I’m sure it’s a grebe, but will defer to more expert birders for an exact ID.

1 Like

I’m no help on the ID, Shirley but I love this photo. It’s simplicity is beautiful. The water droplets on the bird, the reflection on the water; you did a fine job of editing. I see you inversed the subject selection; a new tool for us, 'eh? :wink: I’m glad you pulled this out of storage. Beautiful image.

1 Like

Very nice Shirley. Love the reflection with that striking red eye. Composition looks good to me. I photographed a Horned Grebe this winter that seemed fairly similar.

1 Like

Lovely shot of this very cute bird. Like others, I love the red eye and the reflection. Glad you decided to post it.

1 Like

Shirley,

What a nice little horned grebe. This one is transitioning to its breeding plumage. I do not think this image requires any edits–comp, and other techs are spot on. One of my favorite birds and a darn good photo too…Jim

Very beautiful capture Shirley. I love the minimalist look to this image. Great work!

1 Like

Thank you @Kris_Smith @terryb @Allen_Sparks @Donna_Callais @Jim_Zablotny and @Vanessa_Hill I appreciate your kind comments and I am so glad you all seem to like the photo like I do.

1 Like