Pied-billed Grebe

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This small Grebe had been out in the middle of the pond and then came over closer to the shore. I l liked this because of the foliage reflection and particularly his head reflection.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Canon R6, Canon 100-500, 360mm, f/10, 1/2000 sec, ISO 8000.
LR for adjustments. Topaz denies.

Hi Charlie, Nice feather detail on most of the bird and the head reflection is nice. Whites on the tail look a bit hot to me. Another nit would be the way the bird is angled away from us - tough to catch any other way though I know. Looks like this bird is headed towards the brambles for safety and this image tells that story.

I agree that the reflections in this image are great, Charlie. The real grebe looks a bit bright and you might selectively reduce the exposure on the whole bird just a bit (being careful to keep it brighter than its reflection). The relatively steep point of view isn’t usually considered ideal, but it sure made for great reflections.

I toned it down a bit. White is a bit less. Also, had to take a bit of white out of the beak reflection. I was standing on a platform above the water and couldn’t get lower. I might have lost some of the reflection which , to me, made the picture.
Thanks for your’s and Allen’s input.

Nice job on the repost, Charlie.

Thank you.

A very interesting composition and BG and an awesome reflection – maybe even better because some of it is hidden! I wish the RP was posted in the original thread so I could toggle between. I can’t see the difference as it is.

It feels like some of the highlights have gone gray. I’d try reducing exposure and increasing Shadows before going that far with Highlights. In most cases that can bring up Highlight detail, but it all depends on what the sensor captured. If things go flat, Clarity (a very small amount) will boost midtone contrast.)

Hello, Charly, nice patterns in the water and an attractive subject. Although levelness always is hard in these conditions, I would be temped to play around a bit (in the attached image I made the eye reflection below the eye). The whole could be a bit darker as well. That all said, I do like the image a lot. Cheers. Hans