Got lucky

Hooded merganser flapping, SS just 1/800 which is dumb when you are in good light and just a mistake that worked out here because the head was sharp.
Got lucky but there is never a reason in bird photography to go under iso400 or even iso800 so always shoot as fast as you can…

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, 700mm (500pf w 1.4), f8, 1/800, iso320

1 Like

Very cool shot. To my eye, I don’t see any problems with it. Yes!

Very nice, Dan! What a cool bird!

Excellent, Dan. I tend to agree about keeping shutter speed high, when possible, though on dull winter days in my blind, I’m sometimes considerably lower than that.

It worked well for you here. And the water is lovely, as is the hint of the white reflection.

Dan, this is an amazing shot. I think the SS worked out for you as the wing movement to me is a nice addition. He looks like he is directing the choir! That is good advice for bird photography.

Looks good Dan. The little guy gave you a nice pose. Lovely bg as well.

You caught a great pose with nice wing blur and sharpness elsewhere. Water looks nice as well.

Hi Dan, I like everything about this. Great color, detail, and POV. Regards, Brian

Great image, and the movement in wings is quite appealing to me. The head, which matters to me, is sharp. Should you have any room, I would suggest a little more room in lower left corner, as these birds have rather long tails, which now seems (although invisible anyway because below the surface) just outside the frame. But other than that: a simply great shot! Cheers, Hans