Had Enough

Male Common Merganser

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, 500mm, f4.8, 1/800, iso160

Nice low level look at the Merganser and I like the color of the water as well.

Nice catch! If that’s a yawn, it looks like he’s getting used to your presence.

Are you playing catch? Are you throwing peanuts at the duck? Really nice color and point of view.

I love the open beak, Dan, particularly combined with the low angle. Well done.

Wow. That could be an echo chamber. Nice low angle and lovely color on the water. Interesting ISO setting.

I use auto iso, good light…I should have been at 1/3200 but this was a sun break in the middle of clouds.

Ahh. good to know. I have not used auto ISO much.

I can control some things, my SS, and for birds I shoot wide open 99% of time.
Since iso really has nothing to do with exposure, just signal to noise ratio, why not let the camera technology decide that?
I try to spend my time getting the best light angles, the most important thing. Trying to second guess constantly changing light is not really productive.

How would you handle changing bg’s or a black and white bird? I don’t think you can dial in some over or under exposure that you might with Av mode or Tv.

I only worry about SS and light angle. Only things I can control.
Well that and my shooting angle which is also very important.
If the light changes that much or subject is such that exposure is bad, don’t take the shot or if you do, don’t post it…
Birds looking away or bad light is a delete. Find another subject.
I dial + or - for exposure as I can.
If you are keeping iso constant then you need to be constantly
Dialing exposure up and down since SS and f stop is pretty much decided in bird photography.
If I am shooting BIF, I am at 1/2500 min and wide open, what else is there to change? The iso can float, that is it.

1 Like