Angry Goose

What technical feedback would you like if any? Birds in flight are my nemesis with success rates quite low. The ISO of 2000 killed this shot with the amount of noise reduction I had to do on this image. How do you optimize your camera’s settings for action in any light. I did use Auto Iso, asnd it was a very dark morning.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Comp OK?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200-400mm F4 set at 400mm (1/1000 sec at f5.6, Iso 20900) Crop for comp Levels, NR in Lightroom + Topaz DeNoise AI, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, Rubber stamp tool for removing bright stick in upper RH corner…Jim

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I’ll let others weigh in on the negatives (since I don’t really see any) and concentrate on the positives. I think this turned out well. The water has a nice smooth appearance and I like the colors. The goose seems fairly sharp, especially about the head and eye. I like the wing position. I like the open beak. I prefer BIF shots against a background other than blue sky, so this works for me.

1 Like

Hi Jim, I pretty much agree with Allen - I think this turned out well overall. The goose could perhaps show a little more detail but looks good as presented IMO. Very minor nit is the goose is flying slightly away from us at angle. I do the vast majority of my BIF shooting in sunlight. If I am shooting BIF in cloudy conditions I increase the ISO and try to get shutter speed up to 1/1600s or a little faster - but my results often aren’t anything I would call a keeper. I think you did well with the conditions here.

1 Like

It looks pretty sharp with pretty good detail at that high an ISO and 1/1000. Look at the detail around and inside the mouth. That is pretty darn good. I agree that the goose is slightly past you which is not always the best but you still got a nice shot in what was some low light.
I use Canon so a bit different. For flight shots I use a slightly expanded focus area of a center spot and then the four corners around that. I will shoot wide open at f/4 and try to keep shutter speeds up at 1/1600 and ISO to suit.
Better a noisy shot than a blurred shot.

1 Like

I agree with pretty much everyone on this one. If you’re shooting at that high of an eye so you’ve done a very good job with noise reduction. The water is really pleasing and the depth of field does a good job of emphasizing the bird.

1 Like