Mallard Strutting His Stuff

What technical feedback would you like if any? All!

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon EOS 700D
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

1/2000 sec, f/8, ISO 1600, 180mm

Yesterday, I visited my #1 waterfowl location in St. Matthews, Kentucky. I was not disappointed! Mallards, Wood Ducks, Canada Geese and others were there giving me lots of photographic opportunities.

I purposely set my ISO to 1600, I want to see how much noise is produced at a higher ISO. A comment to one of my posts, recently, suggested that with today’s cameras, higher ISOs could give satisfactory results.

What’s the verdict my friends?

Thanks for looking and critiquing, MUCH appreciated!

Jim Nall
Louisville, KY

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice, kind of a dance shot. It’s the “definitive moment”, when the wings are at their most spread out. How could it be better? Opinion: full sharpness wing to wing, and dark blue water would provide more color punch/zest. TY

It is tough to make nice bird photos when they are looking/flying away…

Dan, thanks for the input, I do appreciate it very much!

Actually, I meant for the photo to appear the way it does. I wanted to capture the feather coloration from behind and the only way to do that is a pose similar to what I posted. If I could get these guys to do a head turn towards me…lol!

Jim

Hi Jim. I like this. While it violates a number of “rules”, it certainly works for me, showing off all those great colors. From the front it’s just another mallard, from this angle it’s magnificent.

To answer the question you asked. I don’t see any significant noise in the image, so I think you got away quite nicely with iso 1600 and still had a slow enough shutter speed to get just a bit of motion blur in the wing tips without anything significant in the nearer wings and body where all the great plumage is.

I like seeing all the colors and the full wingspread. I’d personally prefer a lower shooting angle, which, I think, gives a more intimate view. Also, I have tried shots similar to this. I have found that they turn out best when you’re directly behind the bird, rather than to the side. As to the noise issue, I think a better test would be to shoot in lower light with a higher ISO. You’ll always have less noise in brighter light like this. That said, I really don’t see any noise in the image, and the image quality is very good.