Wood Duck Posing For His Portrait

What technical feedback would you like if any? ALL

What artistic feedback would you like if any? ALL

Canon EOS 700D
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

1/320th, f/10, ISO 400, 310mm

Can’t get enough of these beauties! Let me know what you think…thanks in advance!

Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice look at the duck; colors are beautiful. Good detail. Not sure if more detail could be brought out of the shadow areas.

Gotta love wood ducks! It’s cool having him in the fall leaves. I would’ve been tempted to getting even lower to the ground to get more of those leaves in the background, it may have made a cool effect. That’s just speculation of course.

I see them sometimes around here but they are very shy. I can’t seem to get anywhere near them. I lust to get as nice a close-up shot as you’ve gotten here. They are ridiculously beautiful.

Thank you Dave! It is ridiculous…I have an offer for you. Come here today, there is a 99% chance I can get you close enough for a portrait like this one!!! Louisville, KY.

Jim

Very good, Jim. The shadows look fine on my monitor-dim, but realistic and the detail is there if you let your eyes adjust. Jenaya had an interesting suggestion about a lower angle. It works really well in water, but I’m not sure what it would do in this instance-worth an experiment to see how it comes out, though I almost three my back into a tizzy shooting ducks on my belly at Dan Kearl’s favorite spots yesterday.

Good job on the posts, color, exposure, and detail. I prefer larger crops some of the time and this one could use a tiny bit more room.