Grand Prismatic Spring Abstract

I love finding Nature’s Abstracts. I took this on our second visit to Yellowstone National Park in September 2022. I really loved the diagonals and various colors in this image. This is an intimate capture of an area near the Grand Prismatic Spring.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Any and all comments and input welcome.

Technical Details

Technical
Canon 5R
Canon RF 24 - 70 f/2.6L at 70mm
1/125sec f/11 ISO 200
Hand held since it is difficult to use a tripod on the boardwalks of this area. Too crowded…
LR processing with minor tweaks in PD

3 Likes

Wonderful image, Eva. It’s neat how the image contrast decreases further into the composition, which lends a nice feeling of depth. The colors, patterns and textures are fantastic. Like you, I get pretty excited when I find a cool abstract and this one is certainly quite cool.

1 Like

Hi Eva,
that is a great abstract image. I love all those patterns and the contrast between warm and cool colors.

One little detail that bothers me is that small stick on the left side of the frame. It distracts my eye a little.

But I really like the missing sense of scale. Was it shot from an airplane or very close to the ground? These questions were going through my mind before I read your text.

1 Like

Thanks @Jens_Ober for your input. This was shot from the boardwalk around Grand Prismatic Spring.

Thanks @Bret_Edge . Appreciate your comment.

Eva, you really scored with this one. It’s fantastic. Grand Prismatic is such a wonder. You’ve captured some of its essence and magic here. Awesome.

1 Like

This is very different from most Grand Prismatic spring images that I’ve seen and that I’ve taken myself. I love the soft muted colors and the repeating diagonal lines the the bold colorful stripe going through all of them. I also like how the sharpness falls off the deeper you go into the scene as it should. Like you, I just love abstracts, big or small, and I think you’ve shown a version that we’ve never seen before from this area. Well done, Eva.

1 Like

This is a very eye catching abstract, Eva. I am loving the color palette along with all the diagonal lines. My only suggestion would be to clone or crop away the area in the URC as it does catch my eye a little bit. Very nicely done.

1 Like

First rate, Eva. I love the subdued colour tones and all the diagonals moving from the upper left to lower right except … that very dramatic golden diagonal criss crossing all the others. Very dynamic and laid back at the same time. Super. One small issue for me is what is going on over in the very upper right corner - it feels turbulent and out of synch with the rest of the picture. I’d rather it was cloned out but, as I say, small issue.

1 Like

Lovely!! All said above! I agree on the area just at the top being a slight distraction. I think a good alternative is to crop just enough to remove the darker, more textured areas right at the top. That leaves a sense of mystery for me as to how far the scene extends, and I think that suits the visual lines.

2 Likes

Eva,

Beautiful nature abstract. The patterns and colors are just wonderful. As mentioned, without the description of where and how this was captured - the viewer wouldn’t have a clue what or where this was.

I’ll tack on my agreement about the UR edge. Not really the texture or details up there, but the white is what draws the eye. The good news is that you have plenty of real estate to crop or deal with it however you want, if you want. Not a deal breaker by any means.

Wonderful imagery.

Lon

1 Like