The lines of the prismatic

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken several weeks ago in Yellowstone national park. Hundreds of tourists around me tried to find the big picture and the colors from the brochure, but I was mesmerized by these lines and colors in the water and enjoyed trying to building compositions from them. The setting sun added to the nice colors in the water.

Specific Feedback

Any and all is welcome but one question I kept having was about the color and whether to go with more blue cool tones or more red ones. I went with the red but wasn’t sure. I also wasn’t sure if I should change the luminosity levels through out the picture to add more depth.

Technical Details

Sony a7c, tamaron 70-300, 106mm, iso50, f/11. 1/8 sec, tripod, shutter release. Some lightroom crop and tone curve work.

I like this as is. Little surprised f/11 didn’t get the last ridge more in focus. Might try some local sharpening back there.

Veeeery nice! I love the white area of cloud reflections, adding another horizontal element. The colors and tonalities are lovely!

I’m a little distracted by the piece of detail in the far UR corner, and would clone it out if it were mine. The last ridge being a little OOF is a minor distraction, but a bit disappointing with everything else so interesting. I thik you could have a nice alternative composition with a crop from the top that excludes it.

Thank you both. I am guessing part of the problem of the non sharp elements at the top were a result of the angle as these lines were deep into the water. Anyway, I cropped the upper part to create a composition without it. It definitely looks more focused but maybe it is less interesting? I am not sure.

Tamar, having been to Grand Prismatic yesterday, the colors look reasonable. I was surprised by how little color there was in the runoff near the boardwalk. That’s a big change from several years ago, but one of YNP’s major facets is rapid change in many of the thermal features. Yes, because of the strong angle, it’s hard to get a series of these small terraces fully sharp. The cropped version looks good. I also like the bison tracks in the lower left…guess Bison can’t read the signs… :grinning:

I am having a more favorable response to the cropped version but that is just my opinion. As for the colors, I think your processing works well. But if you are trying to convey something for which blue would be more effective, e.g., cold (temperature or otherwise), you might consider an alternative edit.