Yellowstone_NP 2023

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Shot this while on a trip through Yellowstone, The colors is what really stood out to me.

Technical Details

Cannon R6, RF24-105mm
1/125sec, F4, ISO 100
24mm

Yellowstone most definitely. Not many other places this could be. Colorful and evocative of this exact place. I like the composition and the way you’ve framed the mist coming off the hot pools. The saturation looks a bit much on my monitor (MacBook Pro M2 16"), especially the blues. I particularly like the clear water and how you’ve included so many tiny ripples in it and the sand.

Thank you. I will play with blues and see if I can improve it.

I’ve attempted to photograph this location a few times and there’s always been too much steam. You’ve done a wonderful job with this one. Composition is lovely, and the colors look faithful to my recollection. Saturation of the sky looks good but the blue pool in the mid-ground does look a tad too blue. Fantastic image, Greg!

Thank you Bret, I think I might have been a little heavy handed on the blue. I am going to play with it.

Greg, this is one of my favorite views of Grand Prismatic. It looks like late afternoon light, which is nice because it lets you catch the colors of the springs reflected in the mist. Your leading line works well. I do think that both the blues and the oranges are a bit oversaturated. In addition there a very strong halo along the entire skyline. If you’re using Adobe software, halos like that come from pushing the Clarity slider too far. If you go back to the RAW file, you won’t see that halo. You’ve composed this very well and have a fine photo for the memories of YNP.

Hey Greg,
I’m just back from Yellowstone myself and I shot the Grand Prismatic spring to death. It’s so hard not to. I just love the colors and steam in this area. You certainly caught a period where the steam isn’t overwhelming the spring itself which is great. The few hours that I spent there were windy and the steam was blowing all around making it hard to photograph. I like the leading line and the pools of blue water although I find the blues to be very saturated and somewhat distracting. There is so much color at this spring that I don’t think you need to enhance it that much however I certainly understand the urge to do so. It’s really the sky where the blues look a bit un natural to me so If you backed off the clarity and the saturation slider I think you’d have a much more balanced image. What a great place to photograph and you have a very nice image with just a couple of tweaks.