Yellowstone Mood #5

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On the last morning of the workshop we returned to the Norris Basin area. The early morning sun through the steam again was just entrancing. Combined with the other-worldly colors, it made for marvelous scenes.

Specific Feedback

Any comments welcome. The green is rather lurid, but that’s what it looked like. In light of previous comments on my YNP photos, I brightened the steaminess over what I’d originally done (a rework before any comments - ha ha).

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 8.59.44 AM
Processed in ACR for basic exposure adjustments, cropping.

1 Like

Oooh there is a lot to love here. The lines leading to the trees from right and left work well although I wish the fog was present on the left. Darn fog. The color works really nicely to punch through to the viewer and provide some immediacy. then there’s all the mystery of the mist. Swirling and eddying. It’s a great addition and you made good use of it. Did you experiment with a crop from the right at all? There’s a line of water there that is a bit disrupting in the flow and a crop with my hand results in something pretty nice, too.

1 Like

Watch out for The Green Slime! Just kidding. That was a cheesy cult film from my youth. I quite like the colors and the comp and processing. All around pleasing image. How did you get the FG that sharp @ f/6.3?

What an otherworldly image, Bonnie! Kudos! Having never been to Yellowstone, I can only imagine how otherworldly it is in real life, but this gives me a great idea. Love the composition; this gives a great sense of movement and activity and the mist/fog adds a wonderful sense of mystery. It’s very evocative. One question - what are the whitish clumps/blobs in the FG water? Is that foam or ice/snow?

Thank you @Kris_Smith @Michael_Lowe and @Bill_Chambers.

I didn’t. When I was there, it was the gradation from non-steam to backlit steam that really mesmerized me, so I didn’t want to cut off the right.

Hmmm, not sure. I’m glad f/6.3 worked, though! I would have thought that I would have had it at f/11, but no. It’s probably because I wasn’t zoomed at all - obviously one can get a good DOF with the RX100VII at a larger aperture when no zoomed.

That’s foam, Bill.