Yellowstone Mood #7

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On the last evening outing of our Yellowstone workshop, we were headed to a location we wanted to see again. Fortunately, David & Jennifer monitor the park’s ranger chat and learned that there was a big bison jam on the way to that spot. So, a change of plans took us to the Norris Basin where we went down to the Porcelain Basin to await sunset. After three days of overcast, the clouds were clearing and we anticipated the sun finally peeping out. This scene was very cool even before the sun came out, and when the sun finally appeared it was just magical.

Specific Feedback

I’m good with this, but any comments welcome as I don’t usually do grand landscapes.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 9.57.10 AM
Processed in ACR and PS; basic local exposure adjustments.

3 Likes

The place looks magical. How did the steam drift perfectly for this composition? You’ve used a warm white balance here and it’s what you would expect from the sun’s early rays.

@Igor_Doncov, it was absolutely magical. It was near sunset and the light was truly golden. As far as steam drift, what I learned was that you just have to wait until the breeze drifts it where you want.

1 Like

Bonnie, it’s a beauty. I have never seen something like this before. Thank you for sharing these steaming waters.

Bonnie, this is a great view of the Porcelain Basin. I like how you’ve handled the brightness of the heavy mists along with the golden light in the lighter mist areas and the colors in the basin.

Thanks, @Ben_van_der_Sande and @Mark_Seaver.

I hadn’t either. It was really something!

1 Like

This is beautiful Bonnie. and yes, this is truly magical.

1 Like