Yellowstone Mood #2

REWORK:

ORIGINAL:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from our first day of the Yellowstone workshop. The steam was just so appealing! It’s not something most get in their everyday lives, so I had to take advantage of that atmosphere.

Specific Feedback

What about the color? I fiddled with the white balance - the auto WB had it a bit warm, I thought. Any other comments welcome.

Technical Details

I must have had the RX100VII on auto because it used pattern metering. I really enjoyed using the little RX100. We’re not talking medium format quality, but the experience was much more enjoyable.

Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 10.31.59 AM

2 Likes

There is a lot to like here…
Interesting scene. If this was my image, I’d really want to try to make those highlights / whites a bit brighter. It almost looks muddled, maybe due to white balance being warm in the highlights? I can’t really tell. The light here is so interesting… so many directions you could take this.

This certainly has a mood to it. I like the subtle X composition of this image. I look at this image as one of ambiguity in subject matter. From that point of view the trees on the left don’t work well. Particularly the dark part in the top left corner. I thought of cropping to where the left starts to break through the trees but then your careful compositiion starts to break down because this needs a landscape ratio for the horizontal lines. So either crop and adjust or dodge the trees. I would also dodge at bottom center a bit. I came up with a version without the trees entirely but I suspect that’s too much of a departure for you as it starts to become more abstract.

Hmmm… On the other hand the trees are so dominant that perhaps they’re the main focus of this composition. It’s just about a perspective of thought really.

Bonnie, you certainly captured how Yellowstone looks on a chilly morning. The brightness of the fog above the water looks to be your main subject, with the various parts of the landscape adding interest. I think the trees work well by adding a touch of reality.

What a curious image! I like the little S curve in the water. I wish I could see into it a bit more but that’s probably also the reason I spent a while looking at it, you really have to focus to get into it. Amazing atmosphere! I wonder what a touch of dehaze would do…it’s possible it could kill the whole feel of it.

Thank you @Matt_Payne, @Igor_Doncov, @Mark_Seaver, and @David_Wallace.

Matt, you’re right - there was quite a bit of room on the histogram to brighten this up. Rework posted.

I wasn’t trying for ambiguity of subject matter. My intent was to show the landscape through the steam, using that curve of the stream as an interest point.

Interesting thought - it didn’t feel curious to me. It was just what was there in front of my face. I was trying to convey the steaminess, so I wouldn’t be inclined to dehaze it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Where? Did you replace the original?

Oops - posted now, @Igor_Doncov.

The rework really works in my opinion. I think increasing the highlights/whites helps pull you through the image and see through the steam a bit.

1 Like

Tremendous job on the repost, Bonnie. That water just pops now. It was so muddy before. A massive difference in my opinion. As with your first image, this is all about atmosphere and you’ve got it in spades in your rework. Secondly, your composition is first rate. This is beautifully balanced top to bottom and side to side although I might dehaze those trees on the left side of the image just a tad. I can’t add anything else other than to say, Off to the next one!