Yellowstone Mood #4

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was my favorite thermal feature from Yellowstone. The colors around the vent were striking. I think the green is an alga, Cyanodinium and the orange represents iron caught in bacterial mats and oxidized. The steam on this morning made a nice contrast with the warm colored background.

Specific Feedback

Any comments welcome. The URC is a bit blank, but that’s the way the steam moved.

Technical Details

Processed in ACR: Used the new denoise feature, slight increase in contrast and saturation.
Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 8.32.44 AM

This is wonderful!! The colors and textures are amazing and the steam is gorgeous! I don’t mind the UL corner being a little empty. I love that I don’t have a sense of scale – it this an aerial view of a huge feature or something smaller from close up? It doesn’t matter – it just adds interest to the scene.

Thanks, @Diane_Miller. This is from pretty high up - we were on the boardwalk above the basin.

Bonnie, this is a good look at what I think looks like one of the vents in the Porcelain Basin. The colors are subtle (as most of the Porcelain Basin colors are) with interesting shapes and textures around the main vent. I’m also enjoying how there’s mist scattered throughout the view in addition to the main stream as it angles across the frame.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver - you’re correct, this is from Porcelain Basin. What a cool place!

Really nice. I love the fact there’s nothing to give a sense of scale. Could be an alien planet or something.

1 Like

I think I shot this vent in the porcelain basin on my recent trip. I do not remember having the atmosphere that you have in this image though. It’s the colors of the vent that catches the eye on this one along with the relative emptiness of the scene. What a trip you had, Bonnie.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments on all my YNP photos, @David_Haynes! We did have a good trip - David & Jennifer showed us a very good time, as they say - lol. We had loads of atmosphere from the steam because it was cool and drizzly most of the time. The humidity really made for steamy scenes. And then we hit the jackpot at Porcelain Basin one evening and then the next morning. The light was to die for. I need to post at least one of the oh-wow sunset shots. :slight_smile:

Why limit it to one?! Keep giving us a free tour!