Beautiful But HOT

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hot Caldron in Yellowstone

Specific Feedback

anything

Technical Details

75mm

Hi Louis. You have captured some brilliant colors there in the caldera. It makes a great rainbow across the frame. I am curious about a few choices that you have made with the photo. The blue shadows on the left indicate that you have shifted the white balance some. I wonder if that is to emphasize the color more? I am also wondering how you chose the current crop of the photo. That line on the edge of the red water both leads through the frame, but also cuts the photo in half fairly starkly. I wonder if a different crop might alter that a bit.

Louis, this is a fine, semi-abstract at the colors and textures in a YNP hot springs. I like the color transition from redish across the bottom to blue at the top and the shape of the sinter. I agree that the colors seem oversaturated, especially in the blues (as seen by the “dayglow” blue reflections in the white sinter). There’s a repeated cloning issue near the lower right corner. YNP hot springs abstracts like this are a favorite of mine and I do like your selection here.