Hot and heavy

This is one of several Chocolate Pot hot springs that line one section of the GIbbon River in Yellowstone. The water is obviously hot (although significantly cooler than many of the other hot springs and geysers. I added heavy because chocolate pot hot springs get their colors from high levels of iron oxides, that while colorful in their own right, also are the food/energy source for some very colorful bacteria.

5D3, 100-400 @ 400mm, 1/50 s, f/16, iso 800 tripod and polarizer

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Cool, in a hot sort of way - mother nature’s chocolate kisses. This definitely says hot!

Fiery colors and rising steam-looks hot to me. I like the mini-waterfalls.

Mark: Reminds me to tee up some of my images of the Yellowstone thermal features. Kind of looks like some overgrown mutant Hershey kiss. Nicely done.>=))>

@Bonnie_Lampley, @Bill_Fach I hadn’t thought about a Hershey’s kiss, but now that you mention it, I see the connection clearly.

What a great shot for the WC, Mark. I missed seeing this when we went to Yellowstone. We were so short on time. I tried to put too much on our plate, so we saw a lot, but obviously missed seeing a lot too. Hershey Kisses for sure, the shape and the color. Nice shot.