Travertine Pools

The various hot springs and hot runoff channels in Yellowstone offer lots of interesting ground views. This is an early morning view with travertine pools on Mammoth’s upper terrace catching the sun. The two shrubby bits on the left are grass seed heads that got blown into the pool and are now coated with travertine.

5D3, 24-105 @ 62 mm, f/16, 1/60 s, iso 200, tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The warm side light really makes this image for me. Not only does it add contrast it also creates that nice warm/cool balance that I quite enjoy.

I quite like this, Mark. The image has a great abstract look, an excellent warm/cool thing and fascinating shapes and textures. I might even saturate the blues just a bit more, but looks great as presented.

A great capture, Mark. I like this a lot. The side light really is nice. I like the contrast of the two main colors in the image.

Mark, I rather like the neat little fortress or dam appearance here with the hard crusts. Almost has a look of a spill way with the water exiting off top right in the scene. Nicely processed here on this one too…:sunglasses: