Grassy Spring Terraces & Reflections

Grassy Spring is a relatively new addition to the Mammoth’s Upper Terrace, having first appeared about 7 years ago. On this bright clear day, the sky reflections added some fine blues to the terrace pools.

5D3, 100-400 IS II @ 100 mm, 1/15 s, f/16, iso 200, tripod and cable release

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Real nice layers, depth and warm and cool tones. I might burn down the top area a bit. I used a gradient mask and curves layer in luminosity. YMMV I like this.

Mark, I really like the overall abstraction to this scene. A real collection of small dams or water barriers…looking very unique here…:+1:
I like the optional idea presented but maybe a bit of a highlights turn down globally…just a thought…:thinking:

Mark I think the composition its self needs work, you’ve got 300mm left on your lens so I say make use of it!
I think what is most interesting about this location it the cascading tiers and the different lines they create and the shapes created between them. Huge opportunities here to create some abstracts and focus on line and shape.
Experiment with the height of your camera in relation to the height of the terraces you’re shooting, looking down on the from above will create more shape and less line, while matching their height will compress the depth and shrink the size of the pools.
Also I don’t think the colour is working, the blue and yellow is very hard on the eyes, B/W might be a better option.

Mark, I love the warm light and rich colors in your image. I do like the blue/yellow contrast here a lot. What color are these terraces when they are not sunlit like this?

I do agree with Michael about using a longer focal length to isolate the shapes and patterns more. Also I think there is a shadow of someone with a tripod (but not you) showing up in the foreground blue water, so I would crop away some from the bottom.

Hi Mark, I like what you did here. The layering and mix of cool and warm colors are very compelling. I could see cropping a bit off the bottom pool to place more emphasis on the yellow terraces. I do think the highlights are a bit bright and could be burned down a bit.

Mark,

I myself love the blue/gold color combination; I think one of the best color combos out there in nature! The shapes created by the terraces and the metallic-like reflection of the pools is making for a great natural abstract image. Speaking of the reflections, I think the bottom pool is more transparent and not as “metallic” looking as the rest of the frame; plus you have the “legs” in the reflection. I might opt for a crop off the bottom to remove at least the legs and then whatever side crop works to balance things out.

I like Harley’s gradient, although top is a little too dark, but we’re splitting hairs. Also agree with others to perhaps bring down the general brightness of the faces of the terraces at least below the center line of the frame.

Like many images here, this one only needs a few minor adjustments. BTW, beautiful light!

Lon