Grassy Spring terraces

The flow from the hot springs at Mammoth is constantly changing. Last spring, most of this area was dry and a dull grey. This fall, this area is the most colorful and interesting that I’ve seen it is several years. The park service had to move a section of the board walk two weeks ago because of changes in the flow. The small version of this seems crunchy, the large version is much better.

5D3, 24-105 @ 35, f/16, 1/400 s, iso 400, tripod.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Mark, I really like this overlook perspective on this scene. I did think it was a bit bright for my tastes so I dropped the Gamma and fooled a bit with the WP & BP settings slightly. Not sure if it is one of those monitor things mine being too bright. But, thought I’d share the image just for thoughts.

Mark, I like the abstract quality here and I like your version with lower contrast overall. I, however, would add a little bit of vignette.

This is a fascinating abstract, Mark. I like the lines and contours that lead my eye through the frame. This captures the otherworldly nature of this area perfectly!

Mark,

If honesty is the best policy, then I’d say this one is a little disjointed for me. There are some lines that kind of radiate in and out of the center (roughly) which I do thing is a strength. But for me there are some areas that don’t contribute as well as others; the open water URC and the darker area LR quad.

My favorite part is the whiter terraces above. As presented I think maybe too much included? I could see a pano crop of the top 2/3 or even a near-square presentation starting from left edge and eliminating the open water and at least half the dark brown area.

I like the colors in Paul’s edit, with perhaps a tad less contrast in the lower half?

Clearly this area has endless opportunities!

Lon

@Paul_Breitkreuz I’ve found myself brightening a number of my images over the last 6 months or so. Possibly compensating for all of my years of shooting slide film at 1/3 stop underexposed… I see the extra drama and color in your adjustments but find the darker parts too much for my current tastes. I’ll take a look at something in between and see how it feels. I’ve also increased the brightness of my monitor to see if that makes a difference.

Hey Mark, I totally agree on your point of trying something in-between. For me I found my changes really brought out much more detail in this fine image, especially at the top area. I think the highlights or brightness was too strong to see many of the finer details throughout the image.
As we know the post processing can go on for sometime as we analyze and reanalyze our images. So, this is an image that deserves those follow up processing ideas IMO…:sunglasses: