Grass Bubbles, Charles C. Jensen Botanical Garden

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I always anxiously await the arrival of spring in my local park; when getting my feet wet in the damp grass, the backlit dewdrops caught my eye for an opportunity to use a wide aperture for some soft, dreamy effects.

Technical Details

ISO 800, 1/2000 second, f/1.2 with the Lensbaby Velvet 56 and extension tubes.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Beth the “bubbles” of light are a fine way of showing off the specular highlights from the dew on the grass. To further the emphasis on just those bubbles, you could crop from the top and left. I assume that the lenbaby optics create the bubbles, which is a fun result.

1 Like

I love soft dreamy images. I just bought the Lensbaby Velvet 56. New learning curvce :slight_smile: I really like the circles formed by the dew. They look like bubbles rising from the grass. I agree with Mark about cropping from the left side. Nice image.

1 Like

Wonderful effects - the soft, dreamy bubbles are very ethereal and compelling. I wonder if slightly darkening the image would work - or it might negate the feel.
Fine work!

1 Like

What a cool effect! The dewdrops definitely look like bubbles rising through the grass. This would be a good image for your health-care/hospital work. It’s so hopeful and cheery.

1 Like