Grass Daisies

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have no idea whether these are native or not, but I see them in lots of lawns. This happened to be at a state park along Hood Canal. I was playing with the “low down” weekly challenge on robins and liked the idea of shooting the clumps of daisies that were all over the lawn as well.

Specific Feedback

This is kind of like the old “Cram” technique that was popular a number of years ago in the Flora forum, except I didn’t just shove the camera into a clump and look for a subject. I don’t know if this technique of shooting through foreground vegetation still resonates with anyone or not. I brightened and whitened the petals on the upper part of the in focus daisy to make it more prominent against the two in the upper right-did that work? Too much?

Technical Details

Sony A1 FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 757 mm, handheld at ground level, f/9, 1/1000, iso 400, manual exposure, manual focus. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6607x4608. Taken at 5:57 p.m. on April 22nd.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Dennis,
I like it. I forgot about this technique (or missed it while shooting abstracts only for a while). It has a really nice, dreamy quality to it. The blur, the submersion, the sense of being face down in a field of daisies: It really works and captures a feeling of euphoria or perhaps altered states. All of it works for me.

I like the focus on a particular daisy, and I also like the way the green grass, blurred out, works like a natural vignette. No nits from me on this one.

Dennis: A nice cram indeed. I like the comp and the DOF choice. If I was being picky I would like a touch more clarity on the in focus daisy or at least have the center a bit less obscured. Still a delightful image and it’s good to resurrect old techniques. >=))>