Grass Flowers

I’ve been working on a small project photographing the grass blossoms that occur on our local prairie, both native and introduced. Since I’m not a grass person, I’ll be having some people who know them do the ID. I quickly realized that photographing them in situ required an absolutely still day-a very rare occurrence, so I decided to bring them indoors. I used a light gray foamboard as background and found that I had to overexpose about a stop to get the light right on the grasses. That led me to try upping the ante to see what they’d look like.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, EF180 f/3.5 macro, tripod and cable release, f/22, 1/6, iso 1000 (this was overexposed 2 stops from the meter reading on the light gray background). Processed in LR & PS CC. I rotated the image and used content aware crop in PS to reframe it. A small exposure boost in PS.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

This is lovely Dennis. I think the white/light background helps to enhance the delicate grass and the tiny pink “flowers.” IMO, they don’t look overexposed at all. Nicely done.

Dennis: The largest version is terrific with the little blooms. Nice job on the setup and the final result. >=))>

Very essential, and beautiful. The light colors of the grass and the flowers are extremely pleasant, and the white background gives a somehow suspended feeling…

Grasses are usually overlooked as a subject in flora so showing its intricate structure a pleasure. It also has colors that are not normally seen. I also like the high key presentation.