Grass

I’ve been working on a small project photographing the grass blossoms that occur on our local prairie, both native and introduced. Since I’m not a grass person, I’ll be having some people who know them do the ID. I quickly realized that photographing them in situ required an absolutely still day-a very rare occurrence, so I decided to bring them indoors. I used a light gray foamboard as background and found that I had to overexpose about a stop to get the light right on the grasses. That led me to try upping the ante to see what they’d look like. This one was shot at 3 stops over the meter reading.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, EF180, f3.5 macro, tripod and cable release, f/29, 1 sec, iso 1000. Processed in LR CC (the only adjustment was a minor curves adjustment to bring out the thin stems more clearly). Taken this morning at 7:59 am.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

How interesting, I too have been spending some time photographing grasses in bloom. This is an outstanding example of a minimalist high-key image, Dennis. As a minor nit, I think that a bit more color in the greens would be good (because of how some of the stems seem to be disappearing). The mix of greens and oranges and your comp. are excellent.