Prairie Grass, Rocks, and Western Meadowlark

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: This was taken with my old Pentax system at Custer State Park, South Dakota. The Spring rains produced a lush carpet of grass in an area that was recently ravaged by fire. With small sensor size, a more aggressive crop is out of the question. I adjusted the saturation of greens and cyans down from the original. I also applied shadow & highlights on a luminosity mask for the bright areas on the rocks…Jim

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jameszablotny

Jim: Chrissy and I went to Custer in 2001 so this served as a nice reminder. I like your plane of focus and the position of the meadowlark in the frame. Well done. >=))>

1 Like

Hi Jim!

I like this shot as is. The OOF grass makes a good background and your color adjustments look good. Good lighting and detail on the Meadowlark too.

As a side note, if you want to increase the resolution you could try Topaz Gigapixal AI. They have a free trial. It may be worth a test.

1 Like

love the green grass Jim. . . and such a pensive expression on the bird. Looks like a great place to “ponder.” Nicely seeen.

1 Like

Excellent look at this Meadowlark. I am enjoying the DOF and the BG quite a bit. It makes the bird pop.

1 Like

Jim, the bird and the rocks stand out well in the sea of green. I like the sharpness in the foreground and the texture in the background grass.

1 Like