Western Meadowlark

Taken a few days ago around 9 am. I was way too far away to get decent image quality. This is 20% of full frame.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Can’t decide if BG would be better if more diffuse and less striated. Unable to get below f8 anyway.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 500, 100-400 plus 1.4X and shot in crop mode (So around 8 mp out of 42), f8, 1600th, A7R3, handheld, natural light.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Image quality is pretty good for that large a crop, David, especially in what appears o be fairly harsh light. Nice head turn. The background seems ok to me, though you could play with desaturating it a bit.

I think the bird turned out well: nice head turn and bright colors, looks as if a light is shining on it. The background is okay, though might be better without the striations. The dark area in the lower right tends to draw my eye.

Nice shot of this shy species in what appears to be tough conditions, David. Nice pose and perch. I am OK with the background. My only quibble is that it looks a little oversharpened, likely a combination of the large crop and lighting.

I agree about the oversharpening. I was aware of it but difficult to adjust. Not a great image but I wanted to post it anyhow…