Spill over

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any, but also, is the grass over hang effective? Should I brighten the flowers?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) f/8, 1/1250 sec., ISO 2000, 400 mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David, A couple of adjustments can make this image work well. You can tone down the flowers as there is not much detail in the petals. In addition, darkening the leaves in the background and right lower corner can make the flower pop. This is more of a personal preference - you can crop the image just above the wooden shelf so it would remove distraction from the dark area under the shelf. I like the long leaves hanging in front of the flowers.

You did well to get as much detail as possible with this harsh lighting. For flower photography I find a bright overcast day is best to bring out the details. I agree with Ravi’s suggestions as well. I do like the feeling of a curtain protecting the flowers. I pulled this image into my photoshop and cropped the bottom and adjusted the levels in PS. Cropping did eliminate the points of the grasses but reduced the importance of the wood shelf. Adjusting levels reduced the brightness of the flowers a bit. Just a thought.

Thank you. That did make for a better photograph.